Skip to main content

Airline lessons and arrival in Lima

I am, once again, sitting cross-legged on the floor.  Unfortunately, Buddha is not in front of me this time, though a small version of him hangs around my neck. Instead, I am in the Miami airport—not exactly a refuge of tranquility and comfort.  But I’m talking to Mom, who is, on the phone.  She’s just back from Mexico, and I’m en route to Peru.  (Yes, I am my mother’s daughter).  We’re discussing Thanksgiving plans, and how I might get from New Orleans to Kenya that Sunday.  Not a bad conundrum to have, despite its logistical complications.

Half way through a sentence, I look up into the crowd of waiting passengers and see a character from my past.  It’s Liz Carty, my first boss at Oxfam America when I began interning in their DC office.  She was witness to the beginning of my development career.  I had not seen her in over five years (though she kindly participated in my background check during my transition to State).  Minutes later, we are hugging, realizing we’re on the same plane (I’m in 10C, Liz in 11G, a mere row apart). As prophesied in every intern’s going away card, our paths have indeed crossed again: “Best of luck in your next venture, and I hope our paths cross again.”  Thank you, fate.

It turns out that American Airlines has also given 10C to a lovely passenger, and to clear up the mistake, they give her 11E—next to Liz.  Lovely passenger #1 agrees to switch places, and presto-chango, Liz and I have four hours to catch up on five years.  A gentle lesson that even airlines’ all-too-frequent mistakes can create harmony.  *I’m not a big fan of the airline industry overall, so this is a significant lesson for me.  



We arrive in Peru around 9pm, scratch our ambitious plans to visit the Plaza Mayor, and head for our respective hotels, promising to meet up the next day for touristic adventures.

Twenty-five minutes pass in the taxi on the way to Miraflores, a charming neighborhood on the ocean.  First impressions at night are always a bit tainted, but I am struck by the juxtaposition of bright lights with the repressive gray haze that covers everything.  I’m not sure what’s worse: the light pollution (reminiscent of Vegas) or air pollution.  I hope that sunlight lifts the shroud covering the city tomorrow. 

The radio is playing popular 80s ballads.  I wonder if my driver is catering to my presumed American taste, or if this music really is part of the culture here.  "Quien son los mejores cantantes en Peru? O lo mas popular?" I ask him.  After a pause and brief exchange, we agree that Mana is a great band. (They’re Mexican.) 

I’ve already used more Spanish in the last four hours than I have in the previous four months.  If it’s like riding a bike, I’m glad I have a day by myself to use training wheels.  Monday morning it will be government officials and CEOs, and the gringa mistakes just won’t do.  

Comments

  1. oh this is delightful! keep writing xoxmom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caroline, your mom told me about your blog and I love it! I am so glad there are wonderful, caring and committed young people in this world and so glad that I know you. Keep up the good work and the good thoughts.

    Alice Wright

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On Thanksgiving

Up early (I love traveling backwards) and my first order of business is to shoot off a draft of a speech for next week's trip to Kenya.  Of course, a wireless connection is not easily come by in the home of my godfather the artist-ludite (who calls any computer an "evil black box of death").  Not to be deterred, I call my favorite uptown coffee shop, Refuel , fully expecting them to be closed on Thanksgiving Day.  To my great joy, Guthrie (the owner) picks up the phone.  "Well, we're not exactly open but I'm cooking up some grits and just brewed coffee.  Run on down here, girl!" I love this city. Minutes later, I'm sitting in front of my laptop, shaking my hips to classic New Orleans tunes.  The owner serves me two just-out-of-oven-still-steaming palmiers.  Hallelujah, lord these are delicious.  And sure, why not, I'll take a cup of coffee so long as it doesn't put you out.  So he cooks, I write, we both dance, and wow, there is just so m

Five Continents and One Eagle Pose

Today is the first Saturday in a looong while that I've been in DC.  Which means it's also the first Saturday in awhile that I've been able to attend my favorite yoga class, taught by my favorite teacher (aside from my sister, of course). So, I'm in class this morning, feeling extremely grateful and pleased with myself for making it there in the first place, and for creating this space in my life to reflect and take care of my body.  It is no small feat these days, let me tell you. After a series of rapid vinyasas, I'm hoping that my audible breathing is more an indication of my mastery of Ujjayi breath rather than being out of practice.  Then Faith (our teacher) invites us to move from warrior three (balancing on one leg with the other extending out behind you) to eagle pose.  Oh god.  Cue unyogalike dread.  Eagle pose is not my friend, insofar as poses go.  It involves balancing on one foot while wrapping the other leg around the calf, and also doing a simil

5K & El Torito

I just ran an impromptu 5K.  With an Ambassador.  From Atlanta.  In Peru.  On the Pacific.  Did I mention I'm not much of a runner?  Turns out running isn't so bad when you have a enthusiastic partner, talking about Latin American politics and the dynamics of US foreign policy.  Whew! The day started with an early meeting at the US Embassy, where we spoke with colleagues who are working on financial inclusion here in Lima.  Then on to a local microfinance organization, Caja Nuestra Gente, to meet with the Executive Vice President.  Though he spoke the fastest Spanish I've heard since living in Chile, I managed to catch most of his presentation.  My favorite part: a new program that offers working capital loans to microentrepreneurs who collect, sort and sell recyclable materials to manufacturers.  Empowering low-income individuals and helping the environment.  I like it. After a delightful lunch with two government lawyers working on secured transaction reform (*enablin